management & Industry Guild Standards office
cpd in the world of management & industry
CPD stands for ‘Continuing Professional Development’ and is the term used to describe the professional standards of learning activities individuals engage in to develop and enhance their skills, abilities and CV.
CPD can be gained through a variety of learning methods, such as training seminars and workshops, e-learning courses, and conferences and events. CPD certification makes certain that all best practice techniques are adhered to, with the focus being on the individual to achieve professional development and improvement.
There are currently over 1000 institutes & professional bodies across the UK which are CPD certified. This number is set to increase vastly, as businesses and individuals alike are recognising the need for a professional standard of development.
As this growth in CPD continues, it is widely accepted that academic qualifications must now offer more vocational, skills-based and practical learning in conjunction with the professional standards and frameworks. A professional, structured and practical approach to learning not only helps employers to hold onto key staff members whilst developing their skills and knowledge, it gives employees a considerable advantage when looking to improve their career.
What is accredited CPD Training?
Accredited CPD training simply means that the learning activity has achieved the compulsory levels of Continuing Professional Development standards and benchmarks, and that any learning and development undertaken under this benchmark is applicable to gain the CPD guided learning hours.
The learning has been scrutinised to ensure that a high level of development, value, integrity, relevance and quality is provided.
The Management & Industry Guild CPD Accreditation Service provides recognised independent CPD accreditation, which is congruent with global CPD expectations and requirements.
What are the benefits of CPD?
Continuing Professional Development is essential in helping individuals, industries and organisations maintain skill-sets, develop further skill-sets and keep all knowledge up to date. Providing CPD accredited learning allows training providers to become a trusted and reliable source of information. CPD accredited training courses, workshops and events allow professionals to submit the allotted learning hours into their individual CPD record.
CPD benefits the employer and the employee. Employers understand that all learning and development undertaken is of the highest level, whilst the employees enhance their skillset considerably.
CPD is constantly evolving and the standards improving. It ensures that academic and practical qualifications do not become out-dated, and allows individuals to up skill or learn new skills whenever they like, regardless of current education, age or occupation.
What is the Management & Industry Guild Accreditation Office?
Here at the Management & Industry Guild, we brought our commitment to personal development to a new level. Our mission has always been to support CPD, to improve current levels of learning and to make it easier and more affordable for everybody.
We founded the Management & Industry Guild Accreditation Office after conducting comprehensive research with industry professionals. We relentlessly studied the quality of CPD, and surveyed a huge quantity of industry professionals, professional bodies and regulators. We uncovered diverse variables in the current standards of CPD being offered. Many of these standards fell short of the expectations of both management and professional bodies, and much of the current CPD training being provided was of exceptionally low quality.
By providing our independent CPD accreditation, the levels of which exceed many other CPD standards, we believe that we can improve the quality of national CPD. This has helped to establish an affordable, easily accessible and positive CPD experience, and in turn protect the already successful reputation and benchmark of CPD standards.
We assist all our CPD providers to ensure that they constantly deliver an exception level of quality training. Our standards of excellence highlight that all learning activities, be them in-house, online or event based, accommodate our CPD framework of best practice. All development has to be appropriate for admittance within an approved CPD record.
We constantly strive to lead the field of CPD – we are committed to presenting our providers with the highest level of service and standards.
We currently centre our attention within the CPD accreditation excellence on:
• Research – we continually monitor all aspects of CPD and professional development
• Standards – we make amendments to the Management & Industry Guild Standards Office’s framework whenever necessary
• Quality – We only approve providers for accreditation once our strict assessment criteria has been met. Learners and professionals alike can rest assured that they are receiving the highest level of development from their provider
Our continual research aims to:
• All CPD must be relevant – All development and learning must deliver results and benefits to the businesses, organisations, individuals and stakeholders involved
• All CPD must include competent levels of learning and activities – these can be delivered through a combination of innovative and traditional forms of learning
• Deliver CPD to the highest standard possible – All providers, coaches and associates must show proficiency in the delivery of training and development
• Work proactively with all accredited CPD providers – all accredited institutes and members agree to work by our high standards. It is understood that any perceived breaches are investigated fully and impartially.
CPD for professionals – Why engage in CPD learning?
Continuing Professional Development helps individuals to commit to development, and to become a more compelling professional. CPD development, training and learning targets competency and increases capability. Regular CPD can enhance knowledge, the skill-set and career.
Actively recording CPD on a personal record or register will provide clear evidence of professional development. This can be presented at interviews, appraisals, and promotion boards as it highlights a clear and determined commitment to professional self-development. CPD provides a professional with the opportunity to fill in any voids within their skill-set and knowledge.
All accredited CPD providers should present individuals with a Certificate of Attendance as evidence of development once training is complete/the standards of learning have been met. This certificate is to be attached within the individuals CPD record to be presented as and when required. The CPD guided learning hours should be made clear if relevant.
Who is responsible for recording CPD learning? How is this learning recorded?
All learners are responsible for maintaining their own CPD records. Keeping these records not only helps the individual reflect on the amount of professional development over a period of time, it will also be used as evidence should the learner be required to submit evidence of annual CPD to their employers or professional.
Continuing Professional Development undertaken should always be entered in a timely fashion onto a CPD record form or register. It must be kept up to date, meet the requirements (either in subject or guided hours) of their professional body or association, highlight the provider, highlight the learning details and if possible, have the certificates attached. The certificates should always show the amount of CPD hours or points awarded for the learning.
Once a CPD certified activity has been completed, the individual must update their CPD record sheet and attach the associated certificate. It is not necessary for the accredited CPD Provider to keep an ongoing learning record for each of their delegates, however, they must provide a certificate or notice of participation to the individual once the learning has been completed.
Who has the responsibility for finding the time to complete CPD?
Allocating time for CPD is the responsibility of the individual. Any individual will need to fully aware of any CPD requirements for either their organisation/industry, specific job contract or professional body obligations. The individual also needs to understand any limitations on how they can receive the CPD, how their CPD training and learning should be recorded within their own training register, and the number of guided learning hours expected within a set time frame.
Most professional bodies will provide their members with any Continuing Professional Development requirements, with the minimum annual number of hours being the favoured method of highlighting what is required. These obligations will be clearly defined by the acceptable means of learning – be them classroom training, seminars, conferences, workshops, e-learning etc. Most professional bodies do allow their members the flexibility to choose their relevant subjects – however, a small minority require their members to seek CPD on a specific core subjects within the industry.
What is Structured CPD and Active Learning?
Structured CPD and active learning typically involves the training courses, seminars, workshops and lectures. The learning involves interactive and participation-based study, and leads to a CPD certificate once the event concludes or the expected levels of learning have been met. CPD active learning can also apply to individuals sitting professionals exams and assessments – the study hours and revision is treated as ‘self-directed learning’ and qualifies for Self-Directed Continuing Professional Development (SD-CPD).
Accreditation can apply to a range of activities:
• Conference & events
• Online & E-learning
• Other structured forms of learning
• Training courses
• Workshops & seminars
CPD for organisations – Why become accredited?
Providing in-house CPD accredited learning will help your organisation achieve the developmental reputation it deserves. It will boost your quality standards, give confidence to your learners, and can aid employee retention and commitment.
Making CPD accredited learning easily accessible encourages a robust standard of practice and sturdy learning culture. Companies who encourage and provide development to employees tend to attract a higher rate of professional applications than those who do not – CPD is now a valued ‘want’ on the wish-lists of many individuals.
Many professional bodies require their members to partake in a certain level and set hours of CPD in any given time-frame. These are basic obligations for professionals to comply with in order to fulfil their membership criteria.
External CPD providers are typically the training companies, online learning resources, events & conference organisers that individuals turn to when there is no in-house development available. The guided learning can be provided through classroom based learning, e-learning or attending accredited seminars. The providers are industry experts. They will have undertaken and passed a strict assessment process, and will have met the standards required in order to provide the learning opportunities.
Most organisations seek CPD accreditation in order to:
• Create new professional relationships and & business opportunities
• Distinguish themselves from market sector competitors
• Increase delegate bookings for events and courses
• Meet the right target audience
• Present knowledge as industry experts
• Provide structured accredited CPD to delegates
CPD learning can vary from 1 hour seminars up to a full diploma course. It is not uncommon for a professional course to offer over 40 hours of guided CPD learning. Accredited CPD courses are measured in the guided hours of the learning and training they can provide to a CPD standard.
Become CPD accredited
Gaining your CPD certification is not a difficult process – we keep this process as simple as possible in order to provide a swift and easy service.
Accredited CPD providers can accredit five areas of activity. These are instructor-led courses, online courses, events/conferences, speaking and coaching. The assessment process takes into account which type of activity is on offer by the provider and we also evaluate the learning experience the delegate will receive.
Our accreditations run on an annual basis. We believe that our fees are amongst the most competitive in the market, with outstanding value and support being offered in return. We will audit and re-evaluate your accreditation every year, with the renewal fee being due at least 7 days prior to the start of each renewal. You do not need to worry about renewing with us – we will automatically renew your accreditation each year unless we receive your cancellation 6 weeks in advance of your end date.
We ensure that all applications we receive for accreditation are subject to appropriate assessment. We ensure that all applications are assessed thoroughly against our strict standards and criteria laid down for accreditation. We provide competitive rates for accreditation, whilst maintaining our stringent standards. Our focus is on providing our members with the help and support expected, so that they can achieve their training objectives. We understand how busy industry is today. We also understand that business leaders do not have time waste when it comes to processes and accreditations. It is for these reasons that we have strategically and professionally created our accreditation process to ensure minimal disruption to any organisation under the assessment process, whilst providing maximum value.
All of our accredited providers are provided with the following:
• Application guidance, review and advice on CPD requirements, and any improvements that an organisation may need to make to their materials
• CPD accreditation on courses and events. There is no minimum limit on courses that we will accredited
• Be licenced to use our CPD Member logo on all company marketing and advertising materials, and literature
• Are licenced to use our CPD accreditation symbol on all approved CPD course materials and awarded certificates
• Are licenced to advertise CPD certified events on the CPD Event Calendar
• Administration of delegate CPD certificates post activity
CPD plays a pivotal role in ensuring professionals, individuals, organisations and industries maintain their required standard of development.
The process could not be easier to become accredited with us using our accelerated process:
• Filing: Once we receive and file your formal registration request our experienced team will work with you to understand what levels of development you currently offer, and the best way to progress with awarding your accreditation.
• Rating: We will examine your business policies, learning materials and assess the current learning experience you offer. We will assess all of these and then provide you with a rating – this rating will indicate the level of input required from both parties in order for you to become compliant with our standards and gain your accreditation.
• Accreditation: Once the our standards have been met we will award you with your accreditation. We endeavour to have the entire process completed within 6 weeks, subject to the level of input required and your dedication. We do add 6 weeks of extra subscription to your first year to make up for the accreditation process. Contact us for more information at email@example.com
We take the assessment process very seriously. We have strict standards to be met by the potential provider, which include the course content and delivery method, business management of the provider, the learning experience the delegate will receive, and the amount of perceived guided hours the delegate will receive at the end of the learning.
We have an audit path to follow throughout the accreditation subscription. All providers will be guided by through this process. This not only provides credible learning certificates, but also speeds up the accreditation renewal process the following year.
So how do we assess applications and award CPD accreditations?
• Submissions are assessed against the set standards and criteria using information provided by the potential provider.
• Depending upon the content and method of delivery, we will further examine the intended guided hours to be awarded, level of learning and test the detail contained in the submission.
• Alongside assessing the activities, we will fully review the provider themselves. This will include ethical working practices and the management systems in place. We will assist with helping form a management system should the provider need. We also verify the legitimacy of any references obtained.
• We work as best we can to complete the accreditation within the set time scale, however we accept no responsibility for any delays. We work as fast as we can to get our providers accredited and trading under their new accreditation.
• Should a registration be incomplete or further information be required from the provider, we will work as closely and precisely as possible with the provider to remedy any queries. We provide honest feedback on all applications – should any further assessment be required for accreditation completion, then this could delay the process slightly – however we will assist all we can.
What do we need from you?
To assess any potential provider, once we have received your completed registration form (and providing this passes our standards), there are a number of documents that we need and requirements that need to be fulfilled. Alongside access to certain learning materials and a telephone interview, we do need a number of company policies and procedures. These will be scrutinised by our assessors.
Why do we need these? It is not just the learning materials that need to pass our quality checks. We have to know, that as an organisation, anything that we place our name to has to operate in a lawful, ethical and environmentally aware capacity. We have to be sure that the organisation places its employees and delegates before anything else. We need to be confident that anybody who has any dealings with you, leaves your organisation with an enjoyable experience set in their mind.
The policies and procedures we need from you – alongside a company policy register or records of updates – are:
• Company Terms & Conditions
• Cookies Policy
• Data Protection Policy
• Data Breach Policy
• Health & Safety Policy
• Risk Management Policy
• Management Systems Policy
• Course Review Policy and Procedure
• Quality Assurance Policy
• Company Safeguarding Policy
• Equality & Diversity Policy
• Reasonable Adjustments & Special Considerations Policy
• Complaints Policy & Procedure
• Appeals Policy & Procedure
• Malpractice Policy
• Information regarding other accreditations (this could speed your accreditation award up)
• Any other policies, procedures or information that you feel could promote your application
We are of course aware that not every organisation will have every single policy in place. We do have templates that we can share with you in order for you to create these, and our assessors can assist in designing these policies to a standard that is acceptable for our accreditation. There is no extra cost for this service.
Who are our assessors?
Our internal processes are strict. We cannot shy away from this. Of course, in order for these processes to be fully understood and followed, we take a great deal of care in appointing our assessors and training them up to our standards. Our assessors have to sit assessments in accordance with our standards, documented processes and procedures, and have to provide valid reasons for their decision making. They are accountable for their observations and recommendations. They have to know and understand our processes, ethics and procedures intimately.
All of our assessors have been appointed on their experience, qualifications and skill-set within all aspects of management and industry. Assessors adhere to clear guidelines and legislation in relation to all areas of data protection and confidentiality.
Quality Assurance – Our promise to you
The Management and Industry Guild Accreditation Office (MIGAO) provide guidance to all potential providers so that the correct evidence and documentation is submitted, and there are minimal (if any) hold-ups or rejections.
Our assessors follow strict, clear and standardised procedures to assess submissions, provide coherent feedback, and pass or reject providers. Our assessors will work with all providers to ensure that applications receive the same standard of assessment and the appropriate outcome.
Not only do we work with our potential providers through the assessment process, we of course provide support through-out the CPD subscription and will always assist with any queries from our providers.
All applications for accreditation are documented and we maintain regular contact with all potential providers. All processes and procedures will be followed as quickly as possible in order to get accreditations to the appropriate providers.
Our assessors monitor our providers, and MIGAO monitor our assessors. We operate regular reviews and provide critical feedback. We continually ensure that our assessors constantly make the grade.
Our commitment to our providers is to provide the highest level of service and quality. We will never let this standard slide.
Complaints and Appeals
Should an application be refused by our assessors, we will provide a clear explanation of why this happened. We will work with the potential provider to make amendments where due, review the application and ensure that it is re-submitted.
Should a potential provider have any questions, queries or appeals with their application, these will all be responded to promptly and in accordance with our procedures. We will always aim to make our communications as clear as possible.
The assessment decision of MIGAO is final.
Any queries relating to this document should be addressed to the Management & Industry Guild Standards Office. For more information, see CPD Terms & Conditions